Ground Crayfish Pack of 10 x 40g
Crayfish is very important in West African coastal and lagoon fishing communities and it is an important food source in West and Central Africa. It is usually smoke-dried for 2 to 5 days, depending on size and on the market. Smoke-drying is done over a fire. The fish is placed on sticks, bars or wire mesh trays about 1m from the floor. A fire is lit on the floor and the fish is first cooked over a high fire, then the fire is reduced to a smouldering fire which is kept going for as long as necessary. Smoking “ovens” can be open without walls or closed with walls either in the outside air or inside a smoke house. A hard-smoked catfish can be kept for several months in ambient conditions.
- 20 to 24 cups Spinach or Green (Tete) (About 2 pounds/ 908 grams)
- 1 large piece of dry fish (Asa or Other)
- 11/2 Large Onion
- 6 or 5 Red Chilli Peppers with ½ Red Bell Peppers (Completely deseeded)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Vegetable or Olive Oil
- 6 Tablespoons ground dry Crayfish
- 10 grams Stock Cubes (Seafood preferably)
- 1 tsp Salt
- Cooked Assorted Meat
- Bring about 2.5 litres of water to boil in a large pot or saucepan. Wash spinach or green thoroughly then add to the pot of boiling water. Stir to ensure the spinach is completely covered in the boiling water, cover, take off the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile soak dry fish then chop ½ on the onion and set aside. Cut the remain onion into large chunks with the peppers and roughly blend in a blender. Pour into a sieve placed over a bowl to remove excess liquid. Reserve the liquid as you might need some of it later.
- In a medium pot or saucepan, over medium heat, add the oil and sauté the chopped onion in it to soften. Add the drained pepper and onion to the sauce pan and allow to cook for about 10 minutes, stirring from time to time, Add the washed and drained dry fish, crayfish, stock cube and salt during this time. If the liquid completely dries out, add a little of the drained liquid from the pepper and onion.
While the pepper cooks, drain the spinach or green, refresh with cool water from the tap and squeeze the spinach in about 3 to 4 batches to remove excess water then chop the spinach. Add the assorted meat to the cooking pepper mix and allow to cook an additional 3 minutes. Stir in the spinach ensuring everything is properly combined, adding a little more of the drained liquid if you require and allow to heat through.
40g, 40g x 10
Ground Prawns (Powder)