African Foods | Recipes
Akara – Bean Cake
Akara is one of the many Traditional African Food (Nigeria)
2 cups of Asiko beans flour
1 Chopped onions
2-3 chopped scotch bonnet peppers
Dried Asiko Shrimps
Preparation of Traditional African Food:
Wash and Soak beans overnight.
Peel off beans.
Blend beans with little drop of water into a paste.
Pour your paste into a bowl , with wooden spoon whisk the paste into a fluffy mixture.
Add your seasonings (salt, chopped shrimps, onions and pepper, etc.)
Heat oil in a large frying pan until hot (not too hot), drop your paste into the frying pan in small scoop form with a spoon.
Fry your paste gently until, the colour becomes golden brown. Remove fried Akara, when satisfied they cooked. Put them on absorbent serviette in order to drain oil. Serve your Akara or beans cake with Bread, Custard, Pap.
Maafe (Ivory Coast/Senegal) – Groundnut Stew
The Maafe is one of many recipes from the Ivory Coast.
For 8 – 9 people.
2 tablespoons of oil
2 pound of diced beef
1 chopped onion
3 – 6 cloves of garlic
Chopped ginger – 1 table spoon
2 table spoon of tomato puree
Salt and pepper
Asiko Chilli Powder
- Heat oil in large pot. Add beef, stir for 5 or 6 minutes, until it become slightly brown. Remove from pot. Pour another recipient. Put put aside.
- Add onion into pot for about 3 or 4 minutes. Add garlic and ginger for another 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add beef to the pot. Stir for about 1 minute. Add chopped tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to 8 to 10 minutes to reduce.
- Add water or stock . Let it cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add peanut butter, salt and pepper. Cover pot, with lid not entirely . And Let it cook for 40 minutes. Add water.
- Adjust seasoning. Serve hot. Serve with rice or couscous.